The Women’s Health and Action Research Center (WHARC) obtained a two-year grant from the Ford Foundation to consolidate its programs on women’s reproductive health in Nigeria during the period January 1, 2004 to December 31, 2005.
WHARC conducted an external evaluation of its programs and used the results of the external evaluation to develop a new Strategic Plan (2006-2010) for the center. We celebrated the 10-Anniversary of the Center during the period and also started the process of developing a permanent site for the center. Other specific activities in the center reported are as follows :
- Prgram to promote access to safe abortion practices in Nigeria
- New initiative to research abortion in Africa
- Emergency contraception project
- Misoprostol for the prevention of primary post-partum hemorrhage
- WHARC’s HIV/AIDS programming
- WHARC’s programming on safe motherhood
- The Ransome-Kuti Policy and Leadership Development program (RPLD)
- Health policy development project in Africa
- Report on service delivery
- African Journal of Reproductive Health
- Conferences and workshops attended by WHARC
Taken together with the previous annual reports, this report of activities on the grant concludes the reporting on the two year grant. This grant has assisted the center in innumerable ways to expand its frontiers and to build considerable capacity in its eforts to consolidate its hold on reproductive health servics delivery in Nigeria.