WOMEN’S HEALTH AND ACTION RESEARCH CENTRE (WHARC)
VACANCIES FOR MANAGING EDITOR AND OTHER POSITIONS IN THE AFRICAN JOURNAL OF REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH
The African Journal of Reproductive Health (AJRH) was founded by the Women’s Health and Action Research Centre (WHARC), in 1997 to promote documentation and dissemination of research findings in all aspects of reproductive health and social development. The journal has been published regularly 4 times a year since then till now, and has won several awards, including the award of best journal in all disciplines in Nigeria, by the National Universities Commission (NUC). The journal now wishes to recruit self-motivated, innovative and proactive individuals to fill the under-listed posts in its Benin City Editorial Office in Nigeria:
1. Managing Editor/Senior Managing Editor
The position holder will lead the daily management of the journal, including the management of the journal website, the receipt of articles, prompt and timely reply to all queries and the organization of monthly editorial board meetings. S/he will also be responsible for the collation of accepted articles, the timely review of the articles to ensure that they comply with the requirements of the journal, the typesetting, copy-editing and the prompt hard-copy and e-copy publication of the issues. The objective of this office is to ensure that the AJRH is published in a high quality manner so as to maintain its lead among all journals in Africa, and to continue to maintain its focus on its high quality production with focus on excellence, timeliness and publication of cutting-edge research findings.
• Possession of a good undergraduate degree in the Art, social sciences and the sciences. The possession of a Masters degree in the sciences related to publishing will be an added advantage. Ability to write clearly and lucidly and to edit written materials will be greatly valued.
• Previous experiences in publishing or editing a journal or working in the print media will also be an advantage.
• Deep knowledge and experience in the use of computer, especially use of social media activities will be useful
• Some knowledge or experience in the philanthropic sector and in reproductive health programming
• At least three years’ job and employment experience.
2. Typesetter/Editorial Assistant
The person would be able to carry out all the type-setting work in the journal according to the established format of the journal. S/he will work under the supervision of the Managing Editor and the Editor, and will also carry out other journal responsibilities in pursuance of the effective implementation of the daily activities of the journal. In particular, the person will have a role in marketing the journal, especially in promoting the activities and publications of the journal.
• HND or BSc in graphic art, computer science and journalism. Must be versed in the use of computer, especially in the use of computer for social media activities.
• Must have had 3-year experiences working in publishing or related organization
• Must be a pace-setter, willing to learn, and able to net work effectively.
Method of Application
Applications should be submitted in the form of an application letter for the desired position and a detailed CV that spells out previous experiences. Appropriate contact information along with the names and addresses of three referees should be provided. These should be forwarded to the following email addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org, and copied to email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; and email@example.com. The subject line of the email must be the title of the position being solicited.
Closing date for submission is January 20, 2017. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview. At that point, the candidates will be contacted and they will be requested to provide supporting letters from two of their listed referees.